Kirklees & Calderdale RASAC can offer the the chance to develop specialist skills and knowledge which can be used in direct work with survivors or support services within the organisation.
No formal qualifications or specific experience are necessary, but an awareness of issues related to sexual and domestic violence is essential.
People can volunteer at our centre in a variety of ways
- Staffing the helpline (free in-house training is mandatory).
- Volunteer counselling (volunteer counsellor needs to be qualified to at least diploma level and have experience or adequate awareness of working with sexual abuse/domestic violence. In-house training is mandatory).
- Management Committee – Joining our group of trustees to assist with the management of our charitable organisation.
- Assisting in running the stalls at local events to raise awareness of sexual violence & domestic abuse and our organisation.
- Interim support work/ Advocacy – (free in- house training is mandatory).
- Administrative support.
The qualities we require in our volunteers
- Being 18 years old or over
- Good listening and communication skills
- Non-judgemental attitude
- Ability to focus
- Understanding of and commitment to confidentiality
- Team playing
- Working within KCRASAC values
- Working within an equal opportunities framework
- Willingness to undergo free in-house training
- An understanding around the issues of sexual and domestic violence
- An understanding of feminist principles
What we can offer you
- Regular support from paid colleagues
- Constructive and supportive feedback
- Opportunities to develop skills, experience and confidence, both professional and personal
- A volunteer peer support group
- Out of pocket expenses i.e. travel
- Access to free in-house training
- To be part of a committed and friendly team
- For volunteer counsellors – paid supervision for KCRASAC caseloads.
- Valuable work experience
Next Volunteer Training Dates
The process for volunteering is an application form and an interview and all volunteers must be able to attend the training dates. The next volunteer training dates are Friday 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th May, 7th and 14th June 2019 from 10am – 4pm. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to enquire about volunteering.